Sunday 12 June 2011

Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen

I've defied our random basket rules and decided that my favourite winter's night alone album is this week's classic album. Bruce Springsteen released Nebraska in the year I was born, 1982. Bruce (because we're on first name terms), has been one of the most important men in my life for some time. Thankfully, my father and my husband agree. My mother and most other women I know disagree. Bruce is not the Boss, he is a demi-god. Finding another Bruce lover is like expanding a secret chapter. It's unhealthy I know.



While Born to Run is the most classic of Bruce albums, Nebraska is where my heart is. Nebraska is a hauntingly beautiful album. Recorded on a four track in a bedroom away from the E Street Band, it's nothing but vocal, guitar and harmonica.

Nebraska is dark. The title track opens the album with a serial killer. Nebraska is full of hard people with hard lives. Bruce embodies characters and their struggle. Love is mostly on the periphery.

Atlantic City is the most well-known song from the album and it epitomises the struggle and beauty of Bruce's worlds. "Put your make-up on, fix your hair up pretty and meet me tonight in Atlantic City". There is the fantasy, the romanticism. "Now I been lookin' for a job but it's hard to find. Down here its just winners and losers and don't get caught on the wrong side of that line." And there is the struggle.

Highway Patrolman is honest and raw. "I got a brother named Franky. And Franky ain't no good.... Man turns his back on family well he just ain't no good". The brilliance of Bruce as a songwriter is that in two minutes he makes you mourn for Franky.

Despite the stillness of the album, there is a desperate urgency to Johnny 99. The song starts with a high pitch wail. Every character on This album is no good. Done no good. But they don't mean it.

In the still of the night State Trooper sounds like it's chasing you. The closing shrill scream jolts you awake again. The devil is still snapping at your heels in My Father's House. You want to escape the pessimism, the sadness, the disappointment but it won't let go. I'm not sure I want it to.

1 comment:

  1. That's a very depressing one for a Saturday night (looks like you carried it over to the wee hours of Sunday morning.

    Been a long time since I listened to that one. There's a bluegrass/bayou quality to it.

    ReplyDelete