Sunday 5 June 2011

Top 5 Songs for When the Other Half is Away


For the next two weeks we're apart for Classic Album Martini Saturday as B is travelling o/s for work.  Be warned. I am home alone and I am woman. Cue show tunes, bad singing and ridiculous dancing. Here are my top 5 songs for when my other half is away.

1. Crazy in Love - Beyonce feat Jay-Z. Honestly, I can't think of a better pop song. The horns, the voice, the hook, and it's all topped off by Hova. This white public servant is a long way from Brooklyn...

2. One - A Chorus Line. Ah the gold and glitter, the high kicks, the leotards, the synthesizer. Songs from this musical could make up the rest of the top 5, including Dance Ten Looks Three. I should have had my "tits and ass" done as well and shipped off to make my name on Broadway.

3. Similar Features - Melissa Etheridge. The opening track from Ethridge's debut album is haunting, heartbreaking and sexy. This is the woman I sing loudly along with while hanging out the washing. And drinking gin.

4. Son of a Gun - Janet Jackson feat Missy Elliot. Ok so I'm cheating by combining these two fine ladies, however this is such a killer song. And why can't I spend my top 5 fantasizing about boys who do me wrong? Get the hell out of my house!

5. Glory Box - Portishead. When I'm done dancing around the coffee table like a silly teenage girl, I finally fall into the couch, pull out a book and savour the beautiful sounds of Portishead. Beth Gibbons' voice never fails to help me just slow down, be quiet and be just a little less aggressive.

And now for the other side. 

Music I listen to when the companion isn’t home falls into three categories: Songs From My Youth; Songs She Hates; and Songs I’m Ashamed I Like.

1. Leash – Pearl Jam. Leash is from my youth. With their second album Pearl Jam went from being a band I liked to a band I spent most of my time with. Leash has everything I love about Pearl Jam. A driving riff that makes me jump around the living room and a kicking chorus: “drop the leash, get out of my fucking face”. 

2.     I’m Only Sleeping – the Beatles. The next three songs fall into the Songs She Hates category. My favourite Beatles album is Abbey Road, but L kind of likes that one so I save Revolver for when she’s not at home. I’m Only Sleeping has it all. Twee lyrics, sappy harmonies, syrupy melodies. Sweet, sweet pop music.

3.     Lost! – Coldplay. My guiltiest pleasure is Coldplay. I know there’s so much about them that should annoy me (and does annoy the companion), but I still love them. I think Viva La Vida is their most accomplished album and Lost! is a straight-out uplifting anthem. The percussion takes a good song and sends it into the stratosphere. I know some of the lyrics are lame, but hey, it’s Coldplay.

4.     Bye Bye Badman – the Stone Roses. I’m not sure why she doesn’t like the Stone Roses. But I do. This song is about getting revenge on a bully (I assume) and has a damn catchy chorus. This will grow on her, wait and see.

5. So Much Love to Give – DJ Falcon. Firmly in the Songs I’m Ashamed to Like category. I mainly listen to these in the solitude of jogging. I hope no one ever sees the ‘most played’ list on my ipod. This would be up there, as would These Words by Natasha Bedingfield and Sweet Escape by Gwen Stefani/Akon. I have nothing to say in my defence.

3 comments:

  1. ...strangely uncomfortable about my agreement with Brendan - Revolver is a great album. "Here there and everywhere" is my personal sweet tooth, and "For no one" brings a twee little tear. This album, along with Rubber Soul and a spattering of Dylan, were staple repeats on car trips as a child. Albums from my parents heyday, and what I genuinely thought defined music when I was a kid (it was only around late primary school and the Red Hot Chili Peppers that I realised this was not the case). Which, along with last night's discussion with Lavinia, brings me to suggest another theme week for your blog: Songs/Albums from your youth that you will admit/enforce upon your children. Because surely we don't want Katy Perry's boobs defining our generation to the next. What are the respectable classics that we want our children to know us by and not think 'Dad/Mum were nerds/perverts'? My parents' generation has obvious, timeless artists - but do we? Discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog by chance via Daniel Wongs music blog - love this idea. Crazy in Love is a fantastic pop song and Gwen Stefani...she is my guilty trash music pleasure, but Sweet Escape? Even I don't steep quite that low ( and I love the B-A-N-A-N-A-ANNA'S song)

    Look forward to todays post - Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karin - I think you might be the first person who we don't know who has looked at our blog! That must mean we're on the verge of going viral and making millions of dollars. Thank you.....

    ReplyDelete